2009/01/12

Swimming, pt.2

Nikon D300, 70-200mm 2.8 VR. 1/125, 3.2, 1600.

The problem with shooting swimming is the light. The pool is extremely dark and the subject moves very rapidly. The other photographers had flashes, but let's be honest: swimming photos with a flash look terrible. The flash temperature doesn't match the house lights, so everything not illuminated is tinted an ugly greenish hue. The flash is hard light, so strong shadows fall across the subject. Also, the subject seems to pop while everything else is darkened. Check it out here. Granted these things can be compensated for, but I don't have a diffuser or gels, and I'm not about to spend a bunch on lighting paraphernalia.

So, I set the ISO to 1600 and shot away. Most of my stuff is out of focus, the motion is blurred, etc. I probably should have raised it to 3200 and dealt with the awful noise. I've found that its okay to sacrifice grain size for images that can actually print–to a certain extent, of course.

No comments: