2010/08/22

All My Favorite Frames…

Are trash.

I’m sorting, sorting, sorting last summer’s project. It goes like this:
  1. Drop 600 frames in a folder.
  2. Find the best ones.
  3. Put ’em in a contact sheet in InDesign.
  4. Decide the “best” ones really don’t tell any story at all.
  5. Throw them away.
  6. Repeat.
Take this picture, for instance. I find it poetic, an allusion to work, time and humanity – notice the faint boot-prints. (The serpentine curves are from a electric cable that sat in one spot long enough to show gathered dust.) The color isn’t too bad, either. It’s a nice stand-alone, but doesn’t work with any other frames from the story.

This is the most bothersome thing, I’m finding, when trying to get pictures to speak in unison, tell a story, do something together. It’s frustrating to no end, because all my favorite frames won’t make the cut.

Editing for story is a grand adventure. You paint characters, you are cinematographer and screenwriter. You can’t get too attached to anything, your story will be better for it. But, be an artist: create, find something good. Run with it.

I say this not knowing what, exactly, I’m doing. Ah, but, isn’t it fun?

No comments: