2010/03/26

Evening Thoughts

My father’s colleague invited us to her home for dinner. The men talked religion and politics; the women looked through family pictures. Afterwords we drove through Denver.



Denver’s great. The city has a lot to offer: interesting places, entertainment, sports, etc.

My parents’ two-bedroom apartment is in Parker, Colorado. Parker is Squareville. It’s a bedroom community filled with tightly packed, replicate homes and condos. Denver’s professionals (along with cat, dog and the kids) quietly waste away in Parker. The houses all look the same, the roads are ridiculously wide and it smells like ass. It’s suburbia on acid – without the acid.

There is a length of bike path that meanders through neighborhoods, parks and what remains of a wilderness. I went for a run – I promised myself I would train once in Colorado – and I heard animals yelping. I even saw the silhouette of a coyote running against the white snow. It served as an interesting contrast to the rigid civility of the surrounding community.

Everything is packed. We leave tomorrow at 9:00 am.

No comments: