2010/03/02

Nutella Craze.

I started a project for an art class when I was going to school. The basic idea: people and food.

I ask people what they love to eat – the food that they consume until sick, then continue consuming – and then get them to interact with it. The whole idea explores the American food culture, body weight and bingeing.

Andrew used me for a photography class project, so it was his turn to sit in front of the camera. Turns out, he loves Nutella. (Case in point: I bought too much for the shoot. After the shoot he starts eating it with crackers until he’s a little sick. Crazy kid.) The results are pretty fun:




4 comments:

Jason said...

This is great!

The first photo is my favorite because, while the others are noteworthy, the first is the only photo that hints at surrealism, assuming that nothing is out of place as Andrew shows us his All-American bright beaming smile. Meanwhile, the Nutella is neatly disregarded as commonplace, leaving me with the blending of what I expect from the serenity of the portrait and what I didn't from the absurdity of the dark and delicious spread on a man's face like a beard. It was the only photo to ask me to suspend, or even nullify, any sense of sensibility I had once adhered to.

I also love Nutella!

Sara said...

what a cool project! I love it!

Cory Reed said...

Hey, Jason. How’s it going?

I never really thought of it as Surrealist, but you’re definitely right: its a violent contrast. Great perspective.

Jason said...

Cory,

It's going pretty well, actually! I live in Madrid, Spain and teach English to Spaniards. So I'm, as they might say, "living the dream." I am fundamentally drawn to languages, so being immersed in Spanish everyday (with the occasional and very welcome additions of Portuguese, French, and Italian via some new and wonderful friends) is a pleasure, to say the least. And I find that teaching English has drawn me closer to it intellectually, whereas before it was only close practically. I've been here since last August, and since then my Spanish has really taken off, which is what I hoped to see happen by coming here.

Anyways, great work on your photos! I've been admirer of your aesthetic taste for a while now! See you some day again in the future!